Atul Singh's Classroom
Director of Studies
I focus on helping students studying politics, history, economics and literature.
I recommend that all students studying history, politics or economics start by learning about world history from differing perspectives. An excellent way to start is to read a book on world history produced in several different countries and see how they differ. Another excellent resource is "A Little History of the World" by E. H. Gombrich. The final chapter is especially interesting because it contains the reflections of an old man considering how his perceptions of history changed over the course of his life.
I grew up in India, where I studied English Literature and History at university. I then worked as an officer on special operations in Nagaland and Kashmir, before going to Oxford to continue my education. In the decade that followed I practiced cooperate law and obtained graduate degrees in both law and business administration.
Since 2010 I have been the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Fair Observer, a non-profit news organization.
What students say
“I had the pleasure of attending Atul’s class on political economy at the University of California, Berkeley in 2015. It was an unforgettable learning experience in my life and I am grateful for the chance to access to Atul’s brilliant thinking. It is almost a cliché that Atul is a walking encyclopedia but his gift lies in explaining complex ideas simply. As an educator, he not only made us learn and think, but he also inspired us with his infectious enthusiasm and independent spirit. It is my honor to have been Atul’s student and now friend.”
- Yin Yi, Student at Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies of Johns Hopkins University
If you would like me to be your Director of Studies, fill out the following form:
- English, Hindi, Urdu (fluent)
- French, Spanish, Bengali (conversational)
- BA, English, History and Political Science (1993), University of Luknow.
- MA, Philosophy, Politics and Economics (2003), University of Oxford.
- Graduate Diploma in Law (2005), BPP Law School.
- MBA – Triple Major in Finance, Strategy and Entrepreneurship (2010), University of Pennsylvania – The Wharton School.